The Church of Christ began on the Day of Pentecost in Jerusalem (Acts 2). Accepting Christ as her authority and the Bible as her guide, the Westside church of Christ seeks to be one in purpose, one in plan, and one in doctrine (Matthew 28:18, 1 Corinthian 1:10-13, James 2:14, Hebrews 5:9, 1 Peter 1:22, Romans 6:17-18, and Ephesians 4:1-6).
In 1947, sister Joanna Shackleford from Montgomery, Alabama came to Tuscaloosa to visit family. On the Lord’s Day, she worshiped with the Central church of Christ. After worship, she implored the elders of the Central congregation to assist in establishing an additional congregation of the Lord’s Church in Tuscaloosa. Soon thereafter, the elders of the Central church sponsored a gospel meeting in a tent in Northport, Alabama with brother Thompson as evangelist. During the meeting seventeen (17) souls were saved.
Later, the church of Christ of Tuscaloosa opened a meeting house at 32nd Avenue and 18th Street in a building known as the C S & B Hall. Robert Sanders was the pulpit minister. The congregation worshiped at the 18th Street location from July 1947 until sometime in August 1950.
Church records indicate that on September 18, 1950, Robert Tyson, Monroe Hall, and Willie Young were officially named trustees of the church of Christ of Tuscaloosa. Having decided to build, the church purchased land and constructed a meeting house at 1009-19th Street. The structure consisted of a main auditoiurm and a basement. The members of the congregation donated chairs to furnish the auditorium.
E.W.Way (1950-1953) was the first pulpit minister retained by the congregation. Other preachers who served the congregation during its formative years include Willie Chriesman, Carl Taylor, Ernest Webb, Edwin Walker, and George Carson.
The church hired Willie D. Sweet as pulpit minister in June 1974. Due to his leadership and concern, the name of the congregation was officially changed to Nineteenth Street Church of Christ. For many years the church had talked of expanding the current facility or building a new structure. Through the relentless and diligent efforts of Willie D. Sweet, the church’s building program truly headed toward a meaningful goal.
In December 1978, William R. Davis undertook the evangelistic work of the Nineteenth Street Church of Christ. And, in April 1979, the church broke ground for the construction of a new facility at 2925-17th Street. The congregation became the Westside church of Christ. Past ministers of the Westside congregation are Edward Carey, Varner Webb, and Omah Smith. Our present minister Romeo Tomlinson started working with us in June of 2006
We are looking forward to laboring for the Lord here in Tuscaloosa till Jesus returns.